The University provides a vibrant environment for basic and applied research, and offers internationally recognised postgraduate research degrees in all disciplines.
This handbook provides information about college rules, the structure of each degree and the modules that current students need to take for their qualifications.
Visit our Applications Office website which details the procedures that one needs to follow, when applying for a UKZN programme.
We are currently accepting applications for prospective honours students to study in the 2022 academic year on both the Westville and Pietermaritzburg centres.
- All external applications for UKZN are processed through the Online Applications system.
- To apply, you must download the Postgraduate Application Form (below).
- If you are unable to download the application form, kindly contact the UKZN Applications and Information Office on 031 260 2212/7877 or 033 260 5212 to request an application form and Postgraduate Application Guide.
- Alternatively, you can request an application by writing to firstname.lastname@example.org to request application material.
- The application must be typed out.
Students currently in their third year at UKZN and who are anticipating completing their bachelor’s degree at the end of this year, must apply using the online forms below. No manual forms will be accepted.
CLOSING DATE: 30 SEPTEMBER of each year
(extended to 31 Oct in 2022)
Masters and PhD
Please take note of the following steps to be followed for all postgraduate applications in the College of Agriculture, Engineering and Science:
Please make contact with the staff member that is closely linked to the field you have interest. You need to establish if there are any projects and/or space available for you within their group.
Once you have established a potential supervisor, approach them and find out if they will be willing to supervise you before you proceed to complete the application.
Once your application has been assessed, you will receive communication on the outcome of your application.