Sports Registration for first year and returning students takes place in February in conjunction with the academic registration. Once you have completed your academic registration and you have received your student card, you may proceed to the Sports Administration Office on your campus.
The following sports and activities are presently offered at the Howard College and Pietermaritzburg campuses: athletics, aerobics, basketball, ballroom dancing, canoeing, chess, cricket, cycling, hockey, karate, mountaineering, netball, rowing, rugby, soccer, softball, squash, swimming, tennis, underwater sports, volleyball, water polo and yachting.
- Howard College, which has its own indoor sports complex, also offers gymnastics, surfing and badminton.
- Pietermaritzburg also offers waterskiing, golf and boxing.
- The Westville campus boasts a well-equipped and modern indoor sports complex and an Olympic-size swimming pool. The following sports are offered on the Westville campus: athletics, aerobics, badminton, basketball, boxing, ballroom dancing, chess, cricket, gymnastics, golf, hockey, karate, netball, soccer, softball, squash, swimming, table tennis, tennikoit, volleyball and weightlifting.
All sport is administered by the Sport Administration Office on each campus. University sport is affiliated to SASSU (South African Student Sports Union) and many opportunities are provided for competition at regional and national level, culminating in the World Student Games which are held biennially. Bursaries are available for top performers. Any student who is selected for provincial or national representation can apply to the Sports Administration for financial assistance.
For more information please contact:
- Howard College: (031) 260 2281
- Pietermaritzburg: (033) 260 5189
- Westville: (031) 260 7362